Monday, February 26, 2007

Update

Despite the promises of regular postings I've disappeared yet again for all the valid reasons of course but that's not an excuse. So time for an update, even if it is rather modest and bulleted.

  • I've traded Humalog for NovoRapid, as Humalog hurt a lot when injected. NovoRapid doesn't hurt and I LOVE the pen it comes with!!!! Though still haven't figured out if it has the same effect on my bg.
  • I changed the endo! Yey!!!! for me! As my previous one was a walking anecdote and was only good for writing prescriptions, oh wait, not even for that! every time he wrote a prescription for me the whole drugstore team had to put their heads together to figure out what did he mean by that. I think they put them on a special bulletin board with the title of "The Most Cryptic Prescriptions By The Doctors Who Don't Know A *** " But that's in the past now and I'm looking forward to see my new endo in April, I heard he's great and with a good sense of humor! I'll tell you all about him. Oh by the way, that was the first time I complained in the hospital, but hey if it got me a new doc, why not, may be I should do it more often.
  • And actually I did. To my diabetic nurse, who is an angel and a lifesaver when it comes to saving lives. I complained about the horrible Lantus pen, which always leaves me confused and scared whether I got the right dose or not. So she gave me TWO new Opticlicks that work so much better, no fuss with inserting the cartridges at all!!! I'm probably the least updated diabetic there is, right? hence the absence of the pump still. Coming to that now ...
  • Pump. I was thinking and planning and making pro - con lists for a while - it's a big decision even if everyone and everything is screaming of it's obvious advantages, it's still quite a change in the daily diabetes regime. So I was finally ready to go ahead with it when my beloved bg's got so out of hand, and here comes a scary part - almost a month ago!!!!! Yes ladies and gentlemen, I've been struggling with the most terrifying bg's (up till 20!!!) for almost a month now and let me tell you this - I'm scared. A lot. A lot, a lot, a lot!!!!! I have no clue why they are acting so crazy. I've tried everything! and then some more. Yes, I did have some outrageous amounts of stress and not so good news lately, but that seems to come in order now and I can even sleep at nights again, but hey, not so quick, the 14s and 17s keep me awake with a terrible headache and restlessness and make me run to the toilet quite a lot. I seriously don't know what to do anymore and neither does my diabetic team. Any advice? Please!

For the rest, whoooh ... too much negativity on my poor head and way too much life’s unfairness but I’m not going to bother you with it, I can just say it seems to go better now and hopefully very soon it will be all solved out and I’ll be able to tell you good news.

3 comments:

Chrissie in Belgium said...

Hi neighbor,
I am gload you are posting again. Good for you - getting a new endo. Does that mean you don't have to change hospitals and your good CDE? If so, that is so nice. Changing everything is such a big deal! What to do about the hypers? Besides switching to a pump, which I highly recommend, I would say try to establish a regular pattern of food and exercise. This can be very difficult for some people, but try. Pick a breakfast and lunch you like a lot, and eat it every day. For dinner I eat tons of vegs and change my protein source. I stick to low fat proteins. With set food times and amount and exercise patterns, then you have to log, log and log some more. Write down everything. Hopefully you will begin to see a pattern arise which will help you adjust your insulin. It is important to fix the insulin to the food and life style(exercuse patterns) that you like. Life has to be enjoyed so you have to work out from the life style you like. Variation in food, exercise and unavoidable stress can ge easier to deal with if you know how your body reacts to a given "normal" day pattern. But nothing really worked for me until I got a pump. Concentrate on fixing the night and the first morning test. Then work from there.

Sasha said...

Hi Chrissie :)
thank you so much for your comment and advice. I do stick to about the same foods and carbs every day and keep lots and I mean LOTS of records, also of the emotional side of life as that one influences my bg enormously! But I think I could eat a bit more healthier and exercise more. Also about the pump, I'm planning to go on it as soon as I get my bg a bit back to normal, as changing to a pump isn't an easy process in the first place, I don't need the highs to mess it up even more.
You are so right about the night and morning tests, they're the biggest trouble for me and the main priority at the moment.
Thank you once again for reading and always being generous with comments and support :)

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hi Sasha,

Glad to see an update. Sounds like a lot of change for you, which I think is good. Your new endo will be awesome I'm sure.

Sorry to hear that your BG's have been so wacky lately, and I hope you are able to figure out what is going on.

Chrissie is right about trying to find any kind of patterns - that will help a bunch in figuring out what is happening.